Sunday, December 17, 2006

We're Home and We're Happy!

After nearly 18 hours of flying, 28 diaper changes, 7 meltdowns (only 1 from an adult :) ), a 7 hour layover, a wonderful meal at the airport Fuddruckers (Thank you God!) and about 2 hours of sleep, we are finally home!

We got into Minneapolis around 6:30 last night, and my mom and stepdad were there to welcome us with hugs and kisses! All of our luggage arrived and the beautiful Ethiopian table we received as a gift is even still intact.

Besides having a very bad diaper rash that made diaper changes painful for him, Joshua (Molla) did great! Lots of sleeping and eating. And for a 3.5 year old on a18-hour flight, Isayas did surprisingly well. It might have something to do with all the drugs we gave him before each take-off, and when he woke again, and then anytime he made a peep, but that's up for speculation.

But since everyone was really tired when we got in, we were unsure of how the meeting the family for the first time would go. Well, it went very well! Isayas was woken up and thus, very crabby, but since we had our TV on with the Christmas Wiggles playing (to Isayas, it was the biggest TV he's ever seen, so he was enthralled!) he jumped right on the couch and Maya and Chloe flanked either side of him. He gave some little smiles in between the TV watching and the camera bulbs flashing. After that, we showed him the toy room, which we neatly picked up and cleaned, and dontcha know it, he saw everyone of the toys with wheels and pulled them out and had a grand time! He had never seen so many cars in his life!! He was in Isayas heaven!

And he hadn't even see his room yet! My mom had bought a cute little shelf system that was very boyish, with sports images on the side. On top was a big ol' dump truck from my her too. That is the big hit in Isayas' mind. He and the girls played cars for the hour they were up and they had a blast!

It was so good to see Maya and Chloe. Chloe was the most demonstrative when we got in the door. She was ecstatic when we were home. Maya was more in shock than anything. But we both got big hugs all night.

Well, I just got up at 5:30, as Isayas was wide awake. Not too bad for a 3.5 year old with jetlag. Em and the baby are still sleeping. So is Emilee's mom, who was wonderful during this, as she stayed up with the baby tonight. The house looks beautiful, all decorated for Christmas, thanks to Vicki too.

All write more later today when my head clears. I have a nasty headache. Thanks for all your prayers and support!

Mario and Emilee

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home guys! Can't wait to meet the boys. Love, Ron and Julie

Unknown said...

Well as much as I enjoyed the informational letter. A picture of my beautiful nieces and handsome nehphews together would have made that entry better and a more complete end for your jpurney, but whatever if you want to ruin your blog!!!! We love you guys and can't wait to see you Wednesday. Hugs and kisses to the kids and all of you. Welcome home
Love Anya and the guys

Emilee and Mario said...

Sorry about the lack of pictures. I forgot my laptop power cord and I am too lazy right now to unpack and find my USB cord and hook up the camera to my desktop and unload the pics and work on them and then upload them and then post them and stuff. But whatever.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy that you are all home together safe and sound! We will leave you alone as you all adjust to life together, but as soon as you are ready for an outing to our home, or ready for visitors (whatever is easier for you), let us know!! So excited to see you all!
Love,
Tanya, Nathan, M & E

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having the energy to post Mario! It would be the last thing on my mind :)
We are so happy that you made it home safe and sound.
We look forward to seeing you all!
Love,
Becca & Brandon

Unknown said...

Dear Mario,
Since you have jet lag and now are the father of four and husband to a sick wife I will forgive you!!!! Don't worry about unpacking if you just leave it in a really inconvient spot I am sure mom will get around to it soon!!!

Love you
Anya( your very sorry sister-in-law) who is very thrilled to have you home

Emilee said...

Anya-you are so funny. I think the blog would be more complete with a picture of me and the kids and maybe Mario. Thanks to all my friends who made Let's Dish for me, as soon as I feel better (thanks to Mario everyone knows intimate details of my condition) I will start calling and emailing my friends. Heads Up--if you go to a foreign land-do not kiss your baby on the lips, even if his nannies tell you to-he might give you an ear infection. :)

Love-emilee