Friday, December 01, 2006

11/30/2006 1:25 PM





Well, we just got back from a whirlwind morning, afternoon and evening. We arrived at the Ethiopian International Airport on time at 7:45am this morning. We then stumbled our way through the lines to find where we apply for a visa to enter the country and then pay for it. Then we waited for a while after we got our luggage for our pickup. His name is Masi and he is awesome! While we waited, a driver for another adoption agency in town who knew Masi called him a couple of times to see where he was at and he even taught us about 2 pages of Amharic while we waited! What a blessing!

We then drove through Addis Ababa. It was very strange to come from Minnesota, then to Rome, and then on to a developing country like Ethiopia. The poverty here is heart-breaking, the land is beautiful, the people are radiant, and the smell is…well….different. But good different.

We got settled into the guest house when soon after, we were told we were to going down to the school to see Isayas! Wow! So we hurried our stuff together and jumped in a car with the director’s wife and we got to see Isayas! That is the picture you see to the right, the first time Em and I saw him. He is so handsome. And beautiful. We had to leave soon thereafter as he had to nap, but we came back 2 hours later to bring him to see Molla (Joshua) too! And oh my….his pictures don’t do him justice! His eyes are huge and dark, and his eyelashes are even longer in person! And he has put on some weight, even after a bout of bad diarrhea earlier this week. I forgot my memory card back in my laptop, so I wasn’t able to take pictures. Yes, I know, I am kicking myself on your behalf. Sorry.

Isayas was very, very hesitant about us, being very quiet and just plain limp for most of the 1st couple of hours. He was off in his own world I think, trying to process everything and protect his already broken heart from anymore damage. Molla was bright and cheery from the start, only crying because he was hungry. Em got to feed him and put him to sleep! She loved it!

While Isayas was cold to us to begin with, he quickly warmed up to us later on, as we went back to the school to have a celebration for the kids that were going home this weekend. Full of songs, goodbyes, and cake, we stood off to the side watching. We could see Isayas looking for us every now and then, so every time he did, we gave him big smiles and little waves. He seemed to bask in that! Afterwards, he laughed and played soccer with me and Em, had me play “rocketship” with him by counting to 3 and the lifting him in the air, and then he gave a huge smile when we said our goodbyes and that we would be back tomorrow.

Em and I are so thrilled that each boy seemed healthy and on track for their age. We are so excited to see them tomorrow again!

Tonight, we went out with many of the other parents who are leaving tomorrow or Saturday and enjoyed authentic Ethiopian cuisine and entertainment in the form of Ethiopian dancers and music Awesome night!

I’m tired. Until tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mario and Emilee,
I can hardly wait to meet them. As I read your account - I'm flooded with the same emotions that grab ahold of me everytime the nurse/doctor hands me my new baby - that overwhelming sense of God's goodness at bringing another precious child into my life. In our prayers daily. Ron and Julie

jayme said...

Emilee and Mario,
Thank you so much for taking time out of your incredible journey to update the rest of us on your experiences. I'm so excited that you're finally with your boys! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with the courts on Monday.

All the best,