Sunday, December 03, 2006

12/3/2006 10:33 AM



Today was life perspective changing for me. I headed down to Hosanna this morning to meet with any of the boy’s family that wanted to show. It takes 4.5 hours to get there, and we had a caravan of 4 SUVs that took us down there. The last 70 km is unpaved road, so the going is very slow and bumpy. My chiropractor is going to love me when I get back!

The whole way down was breathtaking and heartbreaking. I could not count the number of mud huts with thatch roofs, 7 and 8 year olds herding cattle, toddlers running around without shoes or pants, women and men carrying buckets of water or wood or whatever crop they were going to sell.

I could not count the number of smiles that I saw along the way on the faces of these men, women, and children. While their lives might be difficult financially, it seems that they are happy and content to some extent, as it’s the only life that they know. Nearly every child we passed had a huge smile pasted on their face and gave us the biggest wave they could.

This trip helped me to remember that I am rich in many things, but money isn’t one of them. It helped me to remember to keep my priorities straight, to be content in the things I have; family, friends, health, home, job, and faith.

After we arrived at the care center in Hosanna, we were given a tour of the facility. Once in the back yard, we were told that the families were coming in to meet us. No sooner had I put down my bag and was about to get my camera when they announced that Isayas and Molla’s father and brother were here! I quickly walked over to the father and we shook hands for what seemed forever, smiling at each other and thanking each other in our own language. The director did some translating and then before I knew it, we were done and the next families came together.

When all the families were introduced, I grabbed the photo book that Emilee had made for them (remember, she stayed behind with Isayas) and the map that Emilee ripped out of the airplane booklet and walked over to him and the brother to show them the boys and where they will be living. A translator came over and helped us to communicate our thanksgiving and appreciation for one another. Something that I will never forget, and something will be able to give the boys as they get older.

Meanwhile, Emilee woke up to Isayas lying in his bed, smiling at her. They went to the bathroom (he was dry!) and played for a bit. Once again, Emilee had to say “No” to something and he began to cry and wail. Please pray that we will be able to correct Isayas’ naughty behavior in such a way so that he does not melt down each time, just as the nannies do.

After getting Isayas to calm down for a bit, he again broke down, so Emilee ended up heading over to Care Center C to be with Molla for a bit. Isayas perked up and had some lunch and then ran back upstairs and smiled at Em and snuggled by her. Emilee decided to leave Isayas there overnight, so she said her goodbyes and came back to the Guest House to rest.

The rest of the night is going to be spent resting and relaxing, getting ready for tomorrow. I think we are going to bring Molla back here, and I will spend a lot of the day with Isayas in school and then bring him back for the night to see how it goes. Again, prayer would be greatly appreciated!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We miss you guys so much!!! Come home soon! With my new nephews! I already am on my way to Soccer USA. Its sounds like you are having way too much fun. Be safe...I continually have you two in my thoughts and prayers. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

More amazing updates!!!!! What a handsome little guy. Sounds like we are all going to have such a great time when you return. The wonderful adventure Mario had will be a memory to cherish forever kinof like childbirth for Em is, but with less pain I guess!!!!! We love you guys. Thaddeus and Jake are just adoring the pics and can't wait for you to bring their cousins home.

Love and prays
Anya and the guys

Anonymous said...

Hello Mario and Emilee!
We are so excited for you guys, as well as prayerful that things will fall into place for a quick return.

You make such a good point in regards to the things we should be rich in. I believe less, in respect to material things, is so much more beneficial for us mentally and spiritually. We Americans like comfort though.... or what appears to be comfort... God help us in that battle.

We are thankful that Emilee and yourself are willing to sacrifice some of your comfort for two little boys who can gain much spiritually as part of your family.

Look forward to bowling with you soon.

We love you guys.

Godspeed to you!

Sincerely,
Brandon & Rebecca